Sunday, April 15, 2007

Inverted Jenny - 857-5309

Rule #9: Controversy and price inflation are good for a collection.

This gives another meaning to Inverted Jenny.... for a good time call...

(Hey!)

Jenny, Jenny, who can I turn to?
You give me something I can hold onto.
I know you think I'm like, the others before
Who saw your name and number on the wall.

Chorus:
Jenny, I've got your number
I need to make you mine.
Jenny, don't change your number
Eight six seven five three oh nine (eight six seven five three oh nine)
Eight six seven five three oh nine (eight six seven five three oh nine)

Jenny, Jenny
You're the girl for me
You don't know me but you make me so happy.
I tried to call you before, but I lost nerve;
I tried my imagination, but I was disturbed.

Chorus

I got it (I got it) I got it,
I got your number on the wall.
I got it (I got it) I got it,
For a good time,
For a good time call.

*Instrumental Break*

(HEY!)

Chorus

Jenny, Jenny
Who can I turn to?
For the price of a dime I can always turn to you.

Jenny's worth a bit more than a dime these days.

http://www.876-5309.com/867-5309jenny.php

http://www.tutone.com/main2.html

And my favourite, the guy who called every area code's Jenny number. My wife told me I had too much time on my hands this weekend when I added my dog to Facebook as a joke. There are people with way less time on their hands than me out there...

http://www.danstheman.com/Jenny.htm

This rule sort of falls under the previous rules of acquiring mistakes, firsts, and rarity, but this stamp is of the most well-known of the bunch so I thought it deserved a different rule. It's been in at least two movies, Brewster's Millions, and American Cousins.

Spoilers below!

This story recalls a plot point from the 1985 movie version of Brewster’s Millions, in which a man named Brewster (played by Richard Pryor) was challenged to spend thirty million dollars in thirty days. One of the many things he did in his attempt was to use an Inverted Jenny to mail a post card.

In American Cousins, two American mafiosi, Gino and Settimo, take refuge in the Glasgow cafe owned by their Scottish/Italian cousin. Their cousin is a stamp collector - his favourite is the non-inverted Jenny he owns. In return for letting them stay with him, and letting the rest of the family come to Scotland, Gino and Settimo pick him up an Inverted Jenny.

More info on Jenny.

During the 1910s, the United States Post Office had made a number of experimental trials of carrying mail by air, and decided to inaugurate regular service on May 15, 1918, flying between Washington, D.C., Philadelphia, and New York City. The Post Office set a controversial rate of 24 cents for the service, much higher than the 3 cents for first-class mail of the time, and decided to issue a new stamp just for this rate, patriotically printed in red and blue, and depicting a Curtiss Jenny, the biplane chosen to shuttle the mail.

Source: Inverted Jenny - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Tommy Tutone is releasing another new record this year... $10 bucks says they're going to sing about an email address or domain name. jen-5309-e-i-ne (@hotmail.com)

No comments: